Tag: rebuild

Update: Dnepr is Back on the Road

After 20 months of weekend work, the Dnepr MT-11 was back on the road today, looking more like its late 1930s German ancestor.  I took a 12 km test ride around the Alden, MI area to see how the bike operated.  I still have some buffing…

Update: Dnepr Electrical Pieces

When I started the Dnepr MT-11 rebuild project, I decided early on that I would conceal the electrical components that were originally exposed to the elements.  Not only did their original placement allow corrosion and dirt to accumulate, but the electrical parts and related wiring were ugly…

Update: Dnepr Reverse Lever Modification

With morning temperatures in the single digits I wasn’t up to doing any major work on the Dnepr project today.  Instead, I focused on a small mini-project that I could work on mostly indoors.  For reasons I cannot explain, I never liked the dark mustard-colored plastic…

Update: Dnepr Exhaust and Cables Installed

I spent a few hours this weekend with the Dnepr project, mounting both exhaust pipes and mufflers.  Previously, the left exhaust was just resting in place to test-fit the components.  The new dual exhausts look much better than the original 2-into-1 muffler, and the vintage-style fish…

Update: My Dnepr is a Rolling Chassis

After another short delay I was back to working on the Dnepr MT-11 this weekend.  I installed the sidecar shock and spring, which required compressing with a ratcheting tie-down strap made into a loop.  The sidecar frame took only a few minutes to mount.  After rolling…

Update: Starting Dnepr Assembly

The Dnepr project resumed this past weekend.  The biggest accomplishment was completing the truing of all 4 wheels.  I was struggling with this task until I realized that the axle that came with the balancing stand didn’t work well with these Soviet hubs, preventing the wheel…

Update: Priming the Dnepr

Yesterday I finally primed the first of many pieces for the Dnepr project.  I’m using Eastwood’s Contour primer, which went on smoothly and evenly.  I’m also quite pleased with the performance of my Sprayit SP-33000 paint gun, a “low-volume, low-pressure” (LVLP) gun that works well with smaller air…

Update: I’ve Become a Stripper

… a paint stripper, specifically.  The Dnepr project is picking up steam this week as I’ve taken some vacation time.  Aside from some work in the garage and the house, I’ve largely focused on getting the paint off the Dnepr parts.  Stripping the paint is no…

Update: Dnepr Hub Bearings, New Exhaust

With the exception of the new leading link fork, I’ve received all the parts I’ve ordered for the Dnepr rebuild project.  The shipment of the fork was delayed, but was finally shipped a week ago and was in Warsaw, Poland as of April 20. The new…

Update: Dnepr is Disassembled

I thought I’d post a few pictures of the Dnepr, which is now down to a pair of frames and a sidecar body.  I’ve been working late over the past few weeks, but I did manage to get the Dnepr disassembled.  All the parts have been set…