Tag: restoration

1966 Honda CL77 Scrambler – Head is Disassembled

This weekend I was able to complete the disassembly of the engine head.  Compared to today’s overhead cam engines, this one is a bit different, being a one-piece head.  Still, this was advanced stuff back in 1957, when the engine was first produced.  The camshaft is…

1966 Honda CL77 Scrambler – Engine is Apart

With the Dnepr project finally behind me, I’ve turned my attention to the 1966 Honda CL77 Scrambler restoration.  The bike has been disassembled for a several months, but the engine had yet to be taken apart.  These 305 cc engines were reliable and strong, but still…

Update: Dnepr is Back on the Road

After 20 months of weekend work, the Dnepr MT-11 was back on the road today, looking more like its late 1930s German ancestor.  I took a 12 km test ride around the Alden, MI area to see how the bike operated.  I still have some buffing…

Update: Dnepr Wiring and Cabling Progress

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted an update on the Dnepr project, so I thought I’d share a few pictures.  I worked about 10 hours on the project this weekend, focusing on finishing the front brake cable installation and adjustments and the clutch cable.…

Update: Dnepr Electrical Pieces

When I started the Dnepr MT-11 rebuild project, I decided early on that I would conceal the electrical components that were originally exposed to the elements.  Not only did their original placement allow corrosion and dirt to accumulate, but the electrical parts and related wiring were ugly…

Update: Dnepr Exhaust and Cables Installed

I spent a few hours this weekend with the Dnepr project, mounting both exhaust pipes and mufflers.  Previously, the left exhaust was just resting in place to test-fit the components.  The new dual exhausts look much better than the original 2-into-1 muffler, and the vintage-style fish…

Update: My Dnepr is a Rolling Chassis

After another short delay I was back to working on the Dnepr MT-11 this weekend.  I installed the sidecar shock and spring, which required compressing with a ratcheting tie-down strap made into a loop.  The sidecar frame took only a few minutes to mount.  After rolling…

Update: Starting Dnepr Assembly

The Dnepr project resumed this past weekend.  The biggest accomplishment was completing the truing of all 4 wheels.  I was struggling with this task until I realized that the axle that came with the balancing stand didn’t work well with these Soviet hubs, preventing the wheel…

Update: Dnepr is Painted

I had planned on painting the Dnepr Saturday, September 10, but Mother Nature already had plans for all-day rains and high winds.  She made up for it the next day as the temps were in the low 70s, with sunshine and a nice, steady breeze –…