Tag: restoration

Update: More Sanding

This weekend I’ve been block sanding the primed fenders and continuing the body work on the sidecar.  The tubular pieces like the frame will just be wet sanded by hand, but the sheet metal pieces like the fenders and sidecar body have to be straight and…

Update: Priming the Dnepr

Yesterday I finally primed the first of many pieces for the Dnepr project.  I’m using Eastwood’s Contour primer, which went on smoothly and evenly.  I’m also quite pleased with the performance of my Sprayit SP-33000 paint gun, a “low-volume, low-pressure” (LVLP) gun that works well with smaller air…

Update: I’ve Become a Stripper

… a paint stripper, specifically.  The Dnepr project is picking up steam this week as I’ve taken some vacation time.  Aside from some work in the garage and the house, I’ve largely focused on getting the paint off the Dnepr parts.  Stripping the paint is no…

New Project: Dnepr MT-11 Rebuild

Over the past 15 months, our Ukrainian Dnepr MT-11 has proven to be a fun, reliable motorcycle.  It gets a lot of attention wherever I ride it, especially in the snow.  Unfortunately, the build quality, engineering and finish are rather poor, so it’s time for a…

Update: Pontoon Rebuild Project – Coming Together

It was a perfect day in Alden for working on a boat – 72 degrees and sunshine.  It doesn’t look like it, but I put in more than 10 hours of work on the project today, and hope to make more progress tomorrow. I trimmed the…

Update: Pontoon Rebuild Project – Bare Aluminum

Today the remaining decking was removed from the ’87 Manitou pontoon boat.  A few pieces had significant rot, with one spot completely rotted through.  I’ll haul these 4 sheets of old plywood decking to the dump next weekend. With the boat down to the bare aluminum,…

Update: Pontoon Rebuild Project – The Tear-Down

With great weather in Alden during the April 18-19 weekend, I was able to begin the tear-down of the ’87 Manitou pontoon boat.  I had received all the new parts by this point, so it was time to begin ripping it apart. One chore that I needed…

Update: Soldering & Wiring

With Christmas behind me, I’m making some progress with the radio restoration project.  I’ve replaced about 3/4 of the 73 year old components, but still have about 6 hours of wiring work left to do.  Out of curiosity, I’ve tested each original component that I’ve removed…