Tag: sidecar

Update: Dnepr is Back on the Road

After 20 months of weekend work, the Dnepr MT-11 was back on the road today, looking more like its late 1930s German ancestor.  I took a 12 km test ride around the Alden, MI area to see how the bike operated.  I still have some buffing…

Update: Dnepr Wiring and Cabling Progress

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted an update on the Dnepr project, so I thought I’d share a few pictures.  I worked about 10 hours on the project this weekend, focusing on finishing the front brake cable installation and adjustments and the clutch cable.…

Update: Dnepr Exhaust and Cables Installed

I spent a few hours this weekend with the Dnepr project, mounting both exhaust pipes and mufflers.  Previously, the left exhaust was just resting in place to test-fit the components.  The new dual exhausts look much better than the original 2-into-1 muffler, and the vintage-style fish…

Update: My Dnepr is a Rolling Chassis

After another short delay I was back to working on the Dnepr MT-11 this weekend.  I installed the sidecar shock and spring, which required compressing with a ratcheting tie-down strap made into a loop.  The sidecar frame took only a few minutes to mount.  After rolling…

Update: Starting Dnepr Assembly

The Dnepr project resumed this past weekend.  The biggest accomplishment was completing the truing of all 4 wheels.  I was struggling with this task until I realized that the axle that came with the balancing stand didn’t work well with these Soviet hubs, preventing the wheel…

Update: Dnepr is Painted

I had planned on painting the Dnepr Saturday, September 10, but Mother Nature already had plans for all-day rains and high winds.  She made up for it the next day as the temps were in the low 70s, with sunshine and a nice, steady breeze –…

Update: Finished Priming the Dnepr

Today the sidecar and sidecar frames got their final coats of primer, completing the priming of parts for the Dnepr project.  A full gallon of primer was consumed to prime the Dnepr.  Before I begin spraying the black 2-part urethane paint, each part will be hand…

Update: More Sanding

This weekend I’ve been block sanding the primed fenders and continuing the body work on the sidecar.  The tubular pieces like the frame will just be wet sanded by hand, but the sheet metal pieces like the fenders and sidecar body have to be straight and…

Update: I’ve Become a Stripper

… a paint stripper, specifically.  The Dnepr project is picking up steam this week as I’ve taken some vacation time.  Aside from some work in the garage and the house, I’ve largely focused on getting the paint off the Dnepr parts.  Stripping the paint is no…

Update: Dnepr is Disassembled

I thought I’d post a few pictures of the Dnepr, which is now down to a pair of frames and a sidecar body.  I’ve been working late over the past few weeks, but I did manage to get the Dnepr disassembled.  All the parts have been set…