Update: Starting Dnepr Assembly

The Dnepr project resumed this past weekend.  The biggest accomplishment was completing the truing of all 4 wheels.  I was struggling with this task until I realized that the axle that came with the balancing stand didn’t work well with these Soviet hubs, preventing the wheel hub from centering on the axle.  I decided to use the motorcycle’s axle on the balancing stand instead, and that corrected the issue.  At that point, I was able to true each wheel in about an hour.  These wheels have no visible vertical or lateral run-out and spin very true, which was never the case with the original wheels.  That should improve the ride.  I also mounted one tire – the remaining 3 will be mounted next weekend.  I hope to balance the wheels next weekend if the weights arrive in time.

I also mounted the rear swing arm with new bushings.  In the picture below, the seat is just resting on the frame for visual effect.  I hope to mount the engine in the frame next weekend.  Stay tuned!

About Kevin Forth

Always learning, Kevin is an IT professional that likes to tinker with electronics, motorcycles, and whatever he can take apart.

View all posts by Kevin Forth →